«Каждый имеет право на благоприятную окружающую среду, достоверную информацию о ее состоянии…», ст. 42 Конституции РФ.
Ecological Union’s experts are actively working with the public, attracting the attention of citizens to the key environmental issues of the city and implementing projects on environmental education.
Key environmental problems of St. Petersburg
- The growth of chemical diversity of emissions
- Road-vehicle emissions continue to dominate urban air pollution
- The steady growth trend levels of pollution caused by the most toxic substances: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), including: benzo (a) pyrene, formaldehyde, fine particulate matter PM2.5 -10
- The lack of information about the quality and quantity of emissions from the combustion of sludge of wastewater treatment plants
The growing pollution of the environment: soil, food and consumer goods
- The growth of the number of pollutants and chemical diversity
- The growth levels of pollution caused by the most dangerous substances
- Hygienic and mechanical pollution of urban and peri-urban environment
- The risk of improper selection of solid waste treatment technologies: instead of reducing the formation and deep processing (3R principle) — «liquidation» of solid waste by incineration, which means transfer of solid waste into gaseous emissions
Expert’s opinion. The ecological crisis: the essence, consequences, perspective
Semen Gordyshevskiy, Chief of Board NP “Ecological Union”:
«The most dangerous, directly affecting the quality of human life form of ecological crisis — is a chemical contamination of the environment. In the first place — the air, and then — water, soil, food, consumer goods. Chemical pollution has, of course, technogenic or anthropogenic nature.
The greatest danger is coming with new substances of technogenic origin: persistent organic compounds — dioxins, PAHs. That they bear primary responsibility for the rapid growth of malignant diseases, congenital anomalies, disability increase.
The only reasonable alternative is to as quickly as possible reducing the chemical pollution of the environment, which can be achieved by rejection of the most dangerous technologies; intensive introduction of the safest resource-saving technologies and supporting ecologically balanced consumer preferences.
Acceptable results can be regarded as a quantitative level of the production of environmentally friendly products. And the main idea of its implementation is that environmentally oriented demand stimulates the production of such products and makes it cost-effective, which naturally reduces the load on the environment.
Today, more and more companies all over the world are already implementing eco-standards by receiving special certificates (ecolabels). Such instrument helps consumers to opt for healthy products and makes them more careful about the environment».
“Vitality Leaf” ecolabel is the first and only internationally recognized System of voluntary environmental certification of goods, works and services in Russia which is based on their life cycle analysis (type I ecolabel). Today the ecolabelling program covers all basic product categories and has obtained respect and credibility in the market.